Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fence Spider 2

 The Fence Spider is still at home and happy in her knothole. She really spins fairly elaborate sheet webs, spanning ten to twelve inches of the bar there, but they get broken every time anyone opens the door. She's not at all shy and will come out to investigate when I take photos.

Her position is an excellent one for catching fruit flies; I've seen her with up to three in the web. Unfortunately, I've never seen her at web-mending, so I do not know at what point she decides to jettison her prey.  I think she may be in the Agelenopsis family, but I am not entirely sure how to tell the difference between an Agelenopsis and a Hololena. I'm going by the leg stripes, at this point.

In any case, I'm still very impressed by the way she makes use of the existing structure of the fence for her funnel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment